MONSOON IN INDIA-
The monsoon has hit many parts of India during this time of the year. Many regions of the country are experiencing heavy and continuous rainfall. This rainfall has caused a lot of trouble for the people in such areas. This is because the entire country was under complete lockdown, which was removed recently. Due to the lockdown, people were restricted at homes only and were not allowed anywhere outside. Now, as the lockdown was removed, and relaxations were granted to the people, more and more people can be seen outside.
But the heavy and continuous rainfall is causing a hindrance to the people; as the government has allowed a limited time during the day for the people to go outside.
EFFECTS OF MONSOON IN KOLKATA-
The rainfall was extremely heavy on 28th July 2021 in Kolkata and the areas nearby. This caused waterlogging in many areas, which resulted in traffic snarls on many roads in the city.
- To deal with the increasing traffic jams on the many roads in the city, many traffic officials had to be deployed on the roads of Kolkata to avoid further traffic jams.
- Around 1800 traffic police officials were deployed throughout Kolkata to avoid traffic snarls and jams.
- The Kolkata traffic police took many steps to inform the people about the areas with waterlogging or blockages.
- The roads in Kolkata were congested because of various traffic issues since Wednesday morning, and these steps were taken to reduce the congestion on the roads.
- To inform the people about the waterlogging, road blockage, and traffic jams, the traffic police took the help of social media to make such announcements for the people in Kolkata.
AREAS THAT WERE AFFECTED DUE TO RAINFALL IN KOLKATA-
The Kolkata traffic police department’s main focus was on the following areas- Basai road, IMT Chowk, Kapashera border, Udyog Vihar, Jwala Mill, areas near Dhankot, areas near Tikri Cut, Galleria Market, Nathupur Sabji Mandi, Mayfield garden, Medanta Hospital Road, Ambedkar Chow, Sector 4, Sector 7, Sector 9, Sector 39, Sector 46, Sector 47.
In many areas, there was even a flood-like situation, where water had entered inside people’s houses as well. Such situations had taken place mainly in Sector 3, Sector 5, Sector 6, Old Gurgaon, Barf Khana area.