SPREAD OF COVID-
India was hit by the second wave of covid-19 very badly. To deal with the spread of the covid, the government had announced a complete lockdown in 2021. Last year, when the first wave hit India, the lockdown was implemented even then. People have to stay at home unless in case of an emergency.
Due to the lockdown, most of the work had to stop and many people had to look for different means of income.
ILLEGAL SHUTTLE SERVICE IN KOLKATA-
The Kolkata traffic police have found several vehicles that have started offering shuttle services during office hours in Kolkata.
- Most of the vehicles offering such services are illegal.
- The vehicles include minivans, trucks, SUVs, and also a few non-commercial motor vehicles.
- Many people in Kolkata have opted to provide shuttle services to earn some income and profit.
EFFORTS OF THE POLICE-
The traffic police department in Kolkata has so far ignored such people because due to the pandemic there was a scarcity of public transportation. But now, last week, the Kolkata police have raided the place for the illegal shuttle services.
- It was recorded that on 9th July 2021, that 40% of the vehicles raided in Kolkata were illegally providing shuttle services.
- A total of 70 vehicles were challaned in Kolkata on 9th July 2021.
- The most number of vehicles providing illegal shuttle services were found in the areas like Ultadanga Basanti, Thakurpukur, and Hastings.
- One of the officers of the Kolkata traffic police said that they have noted down the registration number of the offending vehicles.
- And he also mentioned that further strict actions will be taken against vehicles committing several offenses.