Digilocker is an app that is launched keeping in mind the new rules and guidelines released by the Indian government.
- The app was launched in 2016.
- The central government announced that citizens can now store their documents in Digilocker.
- The app provides ample storage for storing various documents.
- The central government also announced that now people do not have to carry original copies of their documents.
- The soft copies of documents that are stored in Digilocker will be considered valid in any place.
USE OF DIGILOCKER IN INDIA-
Most of the states in the country have agreed and are also following the new rule regarding soft copies. The traffic police department in many states has started accepting soft copies of documents that have been stored in Digilocker. But, there are a few states that are still hesitant about the acceptance of soft copies of the documents for official purposes.
USE OF SOFT COPY OF DOCUMENTS NOT ACCEPTABLE IN KOLKATA-
The Kolkata traffic police department had recently posted an announcement on their official page on Facebook that they will not be accepting soft copies of any sort.
- On the post that the Kolkata traffic police department had posted, they had mentioned that motorists have to carry the original documents of the vehicles with them all the time.
- A few instances have occurred in Kolkata where the traffic police officials had to clarify to the motorists that unless any notifications have been announced by the Kolkata traffic police, the motorists are required to carry original documents of their vehicles, like registration certificates, driving license, and others.
An officer of the traffic department said, “The idea of using Digilocker is only to keep the documents safe. But, there is no application tool either with the police personnel or the transport authorities”.