It is the duty and responsibility of the police to maintain peace and decorum in the country. They are the ones who make sure that the general public is following the rules and guidelines of the government. But, if there are any violations of the rules, they make sure to punish the violators.
But, sometimes there are some police officials who forgo their duty. Some officials take undue advantage of their authority and violate others. Such instances are often seen. A similar case took place very recently in Uttar Pradesh.
UP COP THREATENS A FRUIT SELLER-
On 11th June 2021, a policeman in Noida, Uttar Pradesh was reported when he was abusing a fruit seller for not lowering the prices of the fruits he was selling.
- A police constable on Friday was found when he was threatening a fruit seller and abusing the latter for not selling mangoes to him at a discounted rate.
- A video that captured the whole incident went viral and immediate action was then taken against the police constable for misusing his powers.
- In the video, it can be clearly seen that the police constable was arguing with the fruit seller and negotiating the price of the mangoes.
- And when the fruit seller refused to sell the mangoes at a deducted price, the constable started abusing the fruit seller verbally.
CASE FILED AGAINST THE CONSTABLE-
- The fruit seller, Govind Kashyap, pleaded with the police department to help him. He said that he got the mangoes at a wholesale rate and when the police constable approached him he could only reduce the price by a certain amount.
- But, the constable was adamant about getting a high discount rate which was not possible for Govind.
- And when Govind refused to succumb to the constable’s demand, he started abusing and threatening Govind.
“I am not asking you for any tax… I can issue you a challan since you are selling fruits in this area, which is under the police jurisdiction…,” the policeman says, before leaving with the mangoes in his car.
- After the report had been filed against the constable, an inquiry was set up to deal with the matter. As soon as the video regarding the case came into notice by the police department in Noida, they immediately shunted the police constable from his duty in Sector 51.
“The deputy commissioner of police (Noida) has transferred the policeman to the Reserve Police Lines with immediate effect and ordered an inquiry into the matter. The inquiry has been handed over to an assistant commissioner of police,” the official added.