MONSOON IN INDIA-
The monsoon has affected many regions in India for some time now. Incidents like floods, waterlogging and many more can be seen daily. People in these areas are finding it very difficult to deal with such situations. Maharashtra is one of those states that was worst affected by the monsoon. This is also affecting the traffic in the affected regions.
Considering that the traffic in the country had just returned to normalcy after the lockdown in the country, the monsoon is causing another setback. After months of staying at home, when people have finally been granted relaxations, the monsoon is causing difficulty now.
CRACK ON THE GANDHARI BRIDGE, THANE-
In Thane, a crack in the Gandhari Bridge has been reported. This bridge has been constructed over the Ulhas River and was constructed over 20 years back.
- The Ulhas River stretches over a long distance, covering the entire area from the western side of the kalian town to the National Highway No. 3 at the Padgha Check Post.
- This bridge was built to connect the Kalyan town to the Mumbai-Agra Road in the state of Maharashtra.
- On 27th July 2021, it was reported that cracks could be seen on the Gandhari Bridge.
- As the bridge is quite old now, it is liable to some repair process.
- But, keeping the current situation in mind and the monsoon that Maharashtra has been experiencing, the repair of the Gandhari Bridge is a little difficult.
EFFECT OF TRAFFIC DUE TO THE CRACK ON THE BRIDGE-
- After the Public Work Department (PWD) in Thane was informed about the cracks on the bridge, the engineers of the PWD had conducted an inspection of the bridge.
- After which, it was reported that due to the cracks, it is now dangerous to use the Gandhari Bridge.
- This is because of the risk of the bridge collapsing due to the cracks.
- Hence, the officials of the Public Work Department (PWD) announced that there the vehicular movement through the Gandhari Bridge has been stopped until further notice.
- As it can be very dangerous and may lead to fatal accidents.