BREAKING OF THE KURUVIKKARAN BRIDGE-
- Traffic was badly hampered in Madurai on 31st July 2021, after the Kuruvikkaran Bridge was washed away.
- The Kuruvikkaran Bridge was built over the Vaigai River.
- The bridge was washed away when the water from the Vaigai Dam was released.
- The Kurukkaran Bridge was built more than 50 years ago. Since then the bridge had undergone many repairing projects.
- The bridge connects the northern and southern banks of the Vaigai River.
REPAIRING PROCESS OF THE BRIDGE-
Despite the reconstruction of the bridge quite a few times, the bridge was disrupted many times. This is because whenever there is a heavy flow of the Vaigai River, a disruption of the Kuruvikkaran Bridge takes place.
- In May 2020, a sum of Rs 23 crores was spent on the construction of a new bridge.
- For which this bridge was demolished and a temporary bridge was constructed over the Vaigai River.
- The temporary bridge was built on the western side of the original bridge.
- The construction of the new bridge was expected to be completed by March 2021 but got delayed due to the pandemic.
- Due to this, the temporary bridge that was constructed had been used more than its capacity.
- This temporary bridge has been overused by the people.
- The bridge could only carry light vehicles, but with time heavy vehicles also started using the temporary bridge.
EFFECT ON TRAFFIC-
- As the water of the Vaigai River overflowed, the traffic had to suffer a lot because of this.
- The traffic had come to an abrupt pause because of the collapse of the temporary bridge.
- With the progress of the unlocking in India, the traffic had also increased in the country. And this incident had caused a traffic jam in the area nearby.
- The path from Anna Nagar to Kamarajar Salai had been completely cut off.