NEW E-FILING PORTAL LAUNCHED BY IT DEPARTMENT-
This year, the Income Tax Department released a new E-filing portal. The new portal was launched on 7th June 2021. This new portal has many new features which make it easier for the taxpayers to operate the portal on their own. It is very user-friendly and enables taxpayers to pay their taxes from their homes, instead of going to the tax offices.
- To make this new e-portal accessible, the Income Tax Department had closed the previous portal for the first week in June 2021.
- The taxpayers were told that no person was able to access the old portal from 1st June 2021 to 6th June 2021.
- And the new portal was made available from 7th June 2021.
GLITCHES IN THE NEW E-FILING PORTAL-
- On 22nd June 2021, the Finance Minister of the country Mrs. Nirmala Sitaraman asked Infosys to fix the glitches in the new e-filing portal.
- It was reported that there were five main glitches in the new e-filing portal that needed to be fixed; which included not being able to view past Income Tax returns and e-proceedings.
FINANCE MINISTER’S EFFORTS TO SOLVE THE PROBLEMS-
A meeting was held where the finance Minister met with ten shareholders of the company that developed the new e-filing portal.
- It was reported that the ministry received more than 700 emails from the shareholders complaining about the glitches.
- These emails included more than 90 unique problems. Mrs. Nirmala Sitaraman urged Infosys to mend these problems urgently and make them more humane and user-friendly.
- During the meeting with Infosys, Nirmala Sitaraman emphasized that it is the duty of the government to help the public with their problems.
- And they have to make sure that now the problems need to be solved so that the taxpayer’s experience with the new e-filing portal will be smooth and friendly.