ONLINE METHODS ADOPTED DURING THE PANDEMIC-
Due to the covid-19, the normal working patterns in every area were affected, be it offices, schools, or even the courts. People had to adopt new methods to continue their work. This was done through online mode. Even the police and the government departments have adapted the online mode of work. During the pandemic, the “Virtual Court” was adapted by the courts in India, by which the sessions were conducted online.
The traffic police department in India had also started implementing the use of the E-challan system throughout the country. By this E-challan method, the traffic violators will be recognized by the CCTV cameras that have been installed on the roads. After which, the e-challan system will generate an online challan against the violator. The e-challan will then be sent directly to the violator’s mobile phone. The violator can now also pay their fines and check their challan status online.
FIRST VIRTUAL COURT SESSION IN UTTAR PRADESH-
In Uttar Pradesh, the first Virtual court session regarding E-challan was conducted on 30th July 2021.
- This was held in the Gautam Budh Nagar.
- This online session was attended by the judges from the Allahabad court and a few senior government officials from Lucknow.
- The issue that was being addressed during this online session was regarding all the pending e-challans in Noida from the last five years.
- According to the officials, there are more than Rs 11 lakhs of pending e-challans in Noida since 2017.
- And after the implementation of the new e-challan system, cases of the pending e-challans in Noida have increased comparatively.
- Vikas Verma, Secretary of the Legal Aid Services said that during the National Lok Adalat that was conducted on the 10th of July 2021, around 10,000 e-challan cases were reported.
- Revenue of Rs 70 lakhs was generated from these e-challans.
- Hence, conducting the Virtual court sessions can also prove to be a good step, considering the current situation.
- It provides the people an opportunity to rise disputes regarding cases like false generated challans and many more.
PROCESS FOR SETTING UP A VIRTUAL SESSION-
- The Virtual court sessions are connected to the e-challans in Noida.
- The people will first need to log in to the official website of the Uttar Pradesh Traffic police department.
- The violators can pay their fines directly from the website.
- But, if they fail to do so, or have another matter to address, the matter will be taken to the virtual court, where they will be given a date for the session.
- The people will need to visit the court once for the hearing only.