As an attempt to control the pollution in the country, the Union Minister of Road Transport and Highways has approved “Green Tax ” on old vehicles this year. The aim of this programme was to eliminate millions of old vehicles from the roads in the country.
HARYANA’S PLAN FOR GREEN TAX-
Recently, the Delhi Government had implemented the Green Tax or the Environmental Compensation Charge, and the Haryana Government followed very soon.
● Every vehicle that will be entering Gurugram will fall under Haryana’s Green Tax plan.
● Manohar Lal Khattar, the Chief Minister of Haryana, has initiated a feasibility check on the proposal of his Green tax.
● He asked the Gurugram Metropolitan Development Authority to check the feasibility of Green Tax with the help of the Transport Department.
● The state government of Haryana will be charging taxes from commercial vehicles with failed Green Tax.
VEHICLES THAT FALL UNDER THE GREEN TAX-
● Transport vehicles older than 8 years to be charged 10 to 25% of the tax at the time of fitness certificate renewal.
● Public transportation like buses, to be charged a lower tax rate.
● Personal vehicles to be charged after 15 years, during their renewal of the registration certificate.
● Vehicles registered in densely populated cities are charged a very high rate.
● The Green Tax will also depend on the type of fuel the vehicles use.
VEHICLES THAT ARE EXEMPTED FROM THE GREEN TAX-
● Vehicles that are used for farming purposes such as tractors, tillers, harvesters, etc are exempted.
● Vehicles that have strong hybrids, run on electricity, use CNG, ethanol, LPG, and other alternate fuels are also exempted.
AIM OF IMPLEMENTING GREEN TAX-
● The Green Tax will help in keeping the pollution at check, and will charge the polluters with fines and issue challans.
● The revenue collected from such offenders will be used in dealing with pollution related problems
● This programme will motivate people to switch to newer and less polluting vehicles.
HARYANA PLANS GREEN TAX FOR COMMERCIAL VEHICLES IN GURUGRAM