Uttarakhand has been dealing with heavy rainfall for a couple of days in the month of June 2021. On June 20 2021, a landslide occurred in Uttarakhand due to the heavy rainfall which had affected the traffic in the area tremendously.
LANDSLIDE IN UTTARAKHAND-
On 20th June 2021, heavy rainfall caused a landslide at Tanakpur-Pithoragarh highway, Uttarakhand. The place has been dealing with continuous heavy rainfall for a few days which led to the cause of the landslide.
- The landslide at Tanakpur-Pithoragarh highway caused a disruption in the connectivity through roads in Pithoragarh from other nearby districts.
- According to a report, connectivity of 20 places was blocked between Tanakpur and Pithoragarh.
According to the H D Mathela, the Executive engineer of the National Highway Authority of India (NHAI) said, “The all-weather road from Tanakpur to Pithoragarh is blocked at five places between Pithoragarh and Ghat and at 15 other places between Ghat and Tanakpur”.
- To clear the blockage on the road due to the landslide the authorities have deployed earthmover machines in the area. But due to the continuous rainfall, it has been very difficult to clear the blockage on the highway.
EFFECTS OF THE LANDSLIDE-
- The Kailash Mansarover was blocked for 13 days straight due to heavy rainfall. Due to which 40 nearby villages remained cut from Dharchula tehsil
- The areas were situated near Darma, Chaudas, and Vyas villages.
- The roads that lead to Munsiyari from Jauljibi are also closed due to the immense traffic caused by the heavy rainfall.
- Not only that but the level of water in these areas also increased drastically. The water level has considerably crossed the danger level in many rivers in the district like Dhauli, Saryu, Kali, and Gori.
- The local authorities have issued an alert to the people living in the areas near this affected district.