IMPACT OF LOCKDOWN IN THE NORMAL ACTIVITIES-
Due to the lockdown that was implemented in the country, all the work that had been going on had come to an abrupt pause. But, now as the unlocking is proceeding in the country, the paused work is also resuming or starting. There is construction work going on in the MahaMetro and across various flyovers in Nagpur.
CONSTRUCTION WORK IN NAGPUR-
The construction work is going on in Nagpur in full fledge with the unlocking going on in India. As a lot of time was lost in completing the construction project in Nagpur because of the lockdown, the state government has increased its pace of work. This is why the project is undertaken in many parts of the city including the flyover and the MahaMetro.
PROBLEMS THE TRAFFIC DEPARTMENT FACES IN NAGPUR-
- But because of the construction happening in the city, the traffic police department in Nagpur has to suffer a little.
- The traffic department in Nagpur has recently installed many traffic signals and cameras on the roads; which they are not being able to access as they are being obstructed because of the construction work.
OBSTRUCTION IN THE TRAFFIC SIGNALS-
- The Nagpur Municipal Corporation (NMC) department has reported that 25 traffic signals from Automotive Square to the Airport T-point. 30 traffic signals have been affected in the east-west corridor.
- The construction work has left 25 traffic signals dysfunctional.
TRAFFIC PROBLEMS IN NAGPUR-
- The traffic is increasing in the city day by day.
- There is a constant need for wider roads in Nagpur.
- In midst of this, the construction of flyovers has narrowed down the roads because of the pillars that are being constructed in the edges of the roads.
- The traffic police department in Nagpur reported that many metro pillars in areas such as Munji Square, Variety Square, and Dhantoli Square have become obsolete and prone to accidents.
- There are also problems of narrowing down of roads that cause traffic in areas such as Jaiprakash Nagar, Central Jail stations, Station in North Ambazari Roads.
RECTIFICATION OF THE ISSUES-
Dr. Vikas Mahatme, the vice-president of PRSC and a Rajya Sabha member in an interview told that many steps are being taken to deal with the issues that are being faced in Nagpur because of the various construction works that are going on. A thorough study of the accident-prone areas in Nagpur has been done, and relevant solutions have been put into action.