THE NEW NAVI MUMBAI AIRPORT-
The new airport that is being constructed in Navi Mumbai has been very popular lately. Recently, there have been protests because of the changing of the name of the Navi Mumbai airport. The Shiv Sena wants to name the airport after Bal Thackeray, the founder of the Shiv Sena party.But the local public does not want the same name for the Navi Mumbai airport as the Shiv Sena does. The local public wants the airport to be named Diba Patil, after the late advocate Dinkar Balu Patil.
DISAGREEMENT ON THE NAME OF THE NAVI MUMBAI AIRPORT-
There has been a lot of discussion regarding finalizing the name for the said airport at Navi Mumbai. But seeing as the Shiv Sena is adamant on naming the airport after Bal Thackeray, the local people in navi Mumbai decided to protest against this.
- The local people from whose land were taken for the construction of the airport are not happy after the decision. Hence, they had decided to protest against it.
- The City and Industrial Development Corporation Office (CIDCO) decided to stage a protest on Thursday, as they want the name of the airport to be Diba Patil.
PROTEST FOR KEEPING THE AIRPORT’S NAME AS DIBA PATIL-
Due to this protest that had taken place, it was considered that heavy traffic jams could occur. Therefore, measures to avoid problems on a particular day were taken beforehand.
- The Navi Mumbai traffic police department had announced major traffic diversions on the day of the protest.
- The locals in the area had informed the police and an increased number of police officials were deployed in the airport during the protest.
- Keeping in mind a large number of gatherings, the Navi Mumbai Police Department had made arrangements for security to avoid any mishap. Around 5000 policemen were deployed in the area.
- The policemen included seven teams of State Reserve Police Force, Quick Response Team, and Riot control force.
- More than 500 policemen were also deployed in the CIDCO Bhawan where the locals had decided to gather.
TRAFFIC DIVERSION IN MUMBAI TO AVOID PROBLEMS DURING THE PROTEST-
- Section 144 has been implemented in the city where a group of people not exceeding four could gather. Traffic diversions were also announced.
- All motor vehicles be it a heavy motor or a light motor vehicle going from Mumbai to Pune will be diverted from Airoli toll plaza via Mahape-Shilphata Road to reach Kalamboli.
- Whereas no vehicles were allowed in the city coming from Uran Phata road to Kharghar but were diverted from Bharati Vidyapeeth to Utsav Chowk in Kharghar to avoid the road leading to CIDCO Bhavan.
- No motor vehicles were to go via Palm Beach Road. All vehicles on Thane-Belapur Road were diverted via Mahape Bridge to reach Mumbra-Panvel Highway.