CONDITION OF ROADS DURING LOCKDOWN-
The whole country has been dealing with the second wave of the covid-19 disease. This hit India very badly. Hence, the government had to impose a complete lockdown throughout the country. Due to the various covid guidelines and lockdown norms that people had followed, the spread of the disease is now under control, and therefore, the government is providing relaxation on these rules. Before no person was allowed outside their homes unless it was an emergency, shops, markets, and offices were all closed. But now the government has allowed a certain time within which people may come out and the shops, markets, and offices may also open.
ROADS IN KOLKATA DURING PARTIAL LOCKDOWN-
Keeping in mind the relaxations that are allowed by the government, there are few motor vehicles seen on the road.
- But, since the number is not as huge as it was during a normal day, the Kolkata Traffic Police Department has reserved the left lane of the MG road for the cyclists. The MG Road links the Strand Road near the Howrah Bridge to the Sealdah.
- This is done to keep the cyclists in check. By reserving a separate lane for the cyclists, the traffic department can now efficiently check the cyclists whether they are following the covid norms or not. And if not, they can punish the violators.
- Not only that, but this also prevents many accidents from happening on the roads. According to a report, a large number of road accidents involving cycles are caused because of the fault of the cyclists themselves.
SEPARATE LANE FOR CYCLISTS IN KOLKATA-
- This system has made the work of the traffic police department in Kolkata easier.
- The Kolkata traffic police department has deployed 25 traffic police officials in the city to maintain the separate lane for the cyclists.
- The reserving of a separate lane has been easier now because of the partial lockdown as not many busses, trucks, and other motor vehicles are seen on the road.
- But, if the proposal for the second lane gets approved, then some measures need to be taken for when the situation turns normal and when the number of vehicles running on the roads increases.
MEASURES TAKEN FOR LONG TERM SEPARATE LANE-
- The Kolkata traffic department mentioned that if the proposal gets approved then they have thought of installing rails or cons along the lane’s edge to separate it from the rest of the road.
- But, according to the traffic police in Kolkata, the idea may be canceled if the situation turns normal by the end of next month.