LANDSLIDE IN GANGOTRI HIGHWAY-
The monsoon is prevailing over a lot of parts of India. This has caused many problems to the people of the country in the form of waterlogging, floods, and even landslides. Due to this, the traffic movement is affected to a great extent in the country.
- A landslide occurred on the Gangotri National Highway, causing a lot of trouble for the traffic there.
- This landslide occurred on 3rd August 2021.
- This landslide blocked the highway at Badethi Chungi area near the Uttarkashi district headquarters.
- The landslide also blocks the Yamunotri National highway in the Kharadi area.
EFFECT OF THE LANDSLIDE ON TRAFFIC MOVEMENT-
The traffic had come to an abrupt halt because of the blockage due to the landslide. After the landslide and the highway blockage were reported, the officials of the PWD and the traffic department arrived on spot.
- The traffic of the Gangotri highway was diverted from the Manera bypass.
- Although, this caused the commuters to take the long tour via the bypass.
- The landslide in the Yamunotri highway affected around half a dozen of the nearby villages.
- The traffic movement was stopped because of the landslide on Tuesday from both sides of the Galogi pump house, situated at the Mussoorie-Dehradun Road.
- This is because of the debris that is still there from the landslide.
The travelers and the local residents all had to cease traveling because of it. One of the travelers said, “Large boulders were falling from the hills, and we continued to wait for about an hour before the boulders stopped falling and the road was cleared.”
- The PWD officials and the traffic department are still on the work of clearing the roads from boulders and debris.
- They are also working on the spot, to maintain the smooth flow of traffic.
Pushkar Kumar, junior engineer of the PWD said, “We deployed 3 JCB machines to clear the roads once the boulders stopped falling and normal traffic resumed in about an hour.”