HEAVY RAINFALL IN MUMBAI-
Mumbai is experiencing heavy rainfall now. The continuous rainfall in Mumbai is causing a lot of trouble to people. Under the covid-19 protocols, only a limited amount of time is allowed where people can go outside. The shops, markets, malls, offices, restaurants, and many similar places can only be open during that time.
But, the continuous heavy rainfall in Mumbai has proved to be a big hindrance to the people. The constant rainfall has caused water-logging in many parts of the city. Not only this, but major landslides have also occurred due to the rainfall. This is causing a lot of disruption in the traffic of Mumbai.
LANDSLIDE IN MUMBAI-AGRA HIGHWAY-
- On 18th July 2021, a major landslide occurred on the Mumbai-Agra highway.
- The landslide occurred on the lane going towards Nashik from Mumbai.
- This hampered the traffic traveling through the highway.
- The landslide occurred on Sunday midnight at the Kasara Ghat.
- The landslide caused a massive blockage on the Mumbai highway.
- This resulted in a traffic jam on the highway the following day.
- As the landslide occurred at midnight, the vehicle traveling the next day that is on Monday had to suffer the most.
PROBLEMS FACED DUE TO THE LANDSLIDE AND CONTINUOUS RAINFALL-
The highway police and teams of the National Highway Authority of India (NHAI) arrived on the spot where the landslide happened. Although the highway police and teams wanted to take immediate actions to clear the landslide so as to relieve the traffic, it was not possible.
- The heavy and continuous rainfall made it very difficult for the Nation Highway Authority of India to take any immediate actions.
- The police officials at the Ghoti Traffic Aid Post (TAP) said that the highway was covered with boulders and mud because of the landslide that had occurred on Sunday midnight.
- And it was difficult to clear the highway instantly. Earthmovers were deployed to clear the lane that leads towards Nashik, the next day.
- Because of the landslide, the traffic was affected immediately on 18th
- As only one lane was clear and the other was blocked, it was very difficult for the police officials to maintain the smooth going of the vehicles with the rain pouring constantly at night.