ROADS DURING THE PARTIAL UNLOCKING-
As the unlocking is proceeding in the country, people are seen coming out of their homes. The government has now allowed a certain time in a day within which markets, shops, offices, and many more places may open. Hence, more people are coming out compared to a few weeks earlier.
The partial unlocking is also going on in Ludhiana because of which the number of vehicles on the roads in the city is increasing day by day during day. But, the number of cases of overloaded vehicles is also increasing rapidly in Ludhiana.
OVERLOADED VEHICLES IN LUDHIANA-
As in the last few months, the main focus of the police department in the country has been on maintaining covid protocols, violations in other areas have been taking place. To deal with the increasing cases of overloading, the Ludhiana Traffic Police Department has started a special drive.
SPECIAL DRIVE AGAINST THE OVERLOADED VEHICLES-
According to the traffic police in Ludhiana, the vehicles, especially the iron rods carrying trucks have been violating the norms regarding allotted weights.
- A special drive was conducted by the Ludhiana Traffic Police against such violators starting from 23rd June 2021.
- In two days, the Ludhiana traffic police departments have issued 85 challans to the overloaded vehicles.
- On 23rd June 2021, the traffic police issued 10 challans. On the very next day, 24th June 2021, the number of challans issued to the overloaded vehicles increased to 75 challans.
Not only are the overloaded vehicles not permitted by the government, but they are also not safe for the drivers and the public. On 24th June 2021, a road accident took place involving an overloaded truck and a bus. Iron rods were jutting out from the truck when the passenger bus clashed with it. Two people died during the mishap.
JOINT COMMISSIONER’S TAKE ON THE SPECIAL DRIVE-
Joint Commissioner of Police Deepak Pareek said, “We initiated a drive against overloaded vehicles on Wednesday. It has been seen that vehicles carrying iron rods that are protruding outside the confines of the truck usually catalyze road mishaps.”
- The Joint Commissioner also revealed that 16 challans were issued in Zone 1, 35 challans were issued in Zone 2, 11 challans in Zone 3 and 13 challans in Zone 4.
- Deepak Pareek also mentioned the areas where the drive was conducted- the Jalandhar Bypass, Focal Point, Industrial Area, Sahnewal Chowk, Shiv Chowk, Veer Palace, Samrala Chowk, Gill Road and Transport Nagar.