OPEN JAIL FOR COVID VIOLATORS-
The administration of the Moga district in Punjab has set up an open jail in Ludhiana. The Godhewala stadium on Ludhiana road has been converted to open jail for the covid-19 violators.
Sandeep Hans, the Deputy Commissioner of the Moga district, said that the implementation of the open jail system in Ludhiana is to educate and warn people about the disease. This step will also be helpful in curbing the situation.
WHAT IS OPEN JAIL?
Every person who has committed a crime is liable to be punished. But, not all crimes are so severe that the person needs to be sent to jail for it.
- So, for people who have committed petty offenses or were present at the crime scene, there is a new form of jail called open jail.
- These types of jails are for people who are considered to be a low risk to society.
- The offenders are not confined to the four walls of the jail.
- They are allowed to work in the jail or sometimes even outside the jail to earn a living.
- The main purpose of open jails is to rehabilitate the prisoners.
MOGA DISTRICT’S INITIATIVE-
“People are roaming around the streets without any reason. For how long will we challan them? From now on, we will be taking stern action against the violators and sending them to open jails. Besides, people are already facing financial troubles. So, we have decided to detain them instead of collecting challans,” said the DC.
- The open jail has been set up in Ludhiana under Section 144 of the Criminal Code Procedure (CrCP) under which gathering of four or more people is prohibited, and The Epidemic Diseases Act 1897.
- The Moga District Administration announced the open jail system during the lockdown period.
- They also said that this way of punishing the covid-19 violators will continue until said so by the Moga administration.