DELHI GATE AS A BLACK SPOT-
Delhi Gate has been listed under one of the Black Spots in the country. Black spots are referred to as those places where a huge number of accidents take place. It has been noticed for a long time that many road accidents have been happening in the Delhi Gate region.
- It is reported that more than 1500 people lost their lives in an accident happening in Delhi Gate.
- Delhi Gate is an important part of Delhi. It connects Old Delhi to New Also, it connects the New Delhi Railway Station to the Ring Road.
- It is surrounded by Asaf Ali road, Netaji Subhash Marg, Jawahar Lal Nehru Marg, and Bahadur Shah Zafar Marg. There are more than thousands of vehicles seen in this area as it has many commercial areas, institutes, hospitals, sports arenas. The number of pedestrians is also high and large traffic is seen on a daily basis.
- This is why the place is listed under Black Spots in India. In two years (2017-2019) 42 road accidents were recorded, apart from eight fatalities.
WORLD RESOURCE INSTITUTE OF INDIA’S EFFORTS-
In 2019, the World Resource Institute (WRI) of India had stepped up to reduce the accidents that have been taking place in the areas near the Delhi Gate. The World Resource Institute of India is an NGO that works for road safety. So, they along with the Delhi Traffic Police Department worked where the road accidents took place.
- Because of the trial of the WRI of India, a huge conflict broke out in the Delhi Gate area.
- A study was conducted by the WRI regarding these areas where often many road accidents take place. This was very helpful to the Traffic Police Department in Delhi, as they can take various measures to prevent accidents from happening.
- There were various issues in these areas like missing pedestrians’ crossings.
NEW DESIGN FOR DELHI GATE-
- Hence, the WRI formulated a new design for these areas which includes four-lane carriageways, with lane segregation to provide more space for the traffic.
- A five-meter pedestrian pathway will be constructed on both sides of the roads.
- A tabletop crossing for pedestrians on slip lanes from them to connect and cross the roads.
- An entrance and exit will also be made.