MOTOR VEHICLES ACT-
The Motor Vehicles Act was passed in the year 1988 by the Indian Parliament. It contains regulations regarding motor vehicles in India. Some common regulations that are included in the Motor Vehicles Act are traffic regulations, vehicle insurances, and registration of motor vehicles, permits, penalties, and many more.
AMENDED MOTOR VEHICLES ACT-
The Motor Vehicles Act was amended in the year 2019. The Amended Motor Vehicles Act came into force last year throughout India. It was announced that from 1st October 2020, the Amended Motor Vehicles Act was to be followed in every state.
But, many states including Gujarat, Uttarakhand, and Goa did not implement the Amended Motor Vehicles Act immediately from 1st October 2020.
POSTPONING THE IMPLEMENTATION OF THE AMENDED MV ACT IN GOA-
The Goa government has announced that they have decided to post-pond the implementation of the Amended Motor Vehicles Act.
- When the Motor Vehicles Act was Amended in 2019, the government of Goa did not implement the Act then, that is on 1st October 2020.
- Last year, the Goa government in an interview said that they will implement the amended Motor Vehicles Act in 2021.
- But in an interview held on 19th July 2021, Mauvin Godinho, the Minister of Transport, said that the Goa government has further post-ponded the implementation of the Motor vehicles Act to next year.
REASON FOR POSTPONING THE IMPLEMENTATION IN GOA-
- Mauvin Godinho said that the implantation of the Amended Motor Vehicles Act in Goa will not happen before April 2022.
- An informal decision has been taken by the Goa government regarding this.
- The reason for post-ponding the implementation of the amended Act in Goa is mainly because of the upcoming elections for the assembly.
- The election for the assembly is almost six months away.
- In the Amended Motor Vehicles Act, there are higher fines for various traffic violations. And implementing these new amendments now would create a negative reaction by the public.
Hence, the Goa government deemed it necessary to hold the implementation of the Amended Motor Vehicles Act till April 2022.