EFFECTS OF LOCKDOWN ON THE TRAFFIC IN THE COUNTRY-
The country has been going through a pandemic for almost two years now. The second wave of covid hit India very badly and the spread of the disease got out of control during the second wave. To deal with the pandemic, the government had announced many covid-19 norms and guidelines for the people to follow. The public has been staying at home unless in case of an emergency.
- But before the complete lockdown, the traffic conditions in India were very disturbing throughout.
- There are lakhs of vehicles running on the roads across the country and issues relating to traffic are bound to happen. In cities like Delhi, Mumbai, Kolkata, and many more this is an everyday issue.
- But because of the complete lockdown, there were no traffic issues as people were hardly out of their homes.
PROCESS OF UNLOCKING IN WEST BENGAL-
As the process of unlocking is proceeding in West Bengal. The government is gradually giving relaxation to the public in respect of the lockdown guidelines. People are coming out but within the time decided by the government.
- Motor vehicles are now seen in a good amount on the roads of Kolkata.
- It was last week when the government announced some relaxation in the state. Therefore, people are seen outside.
- Despite the fewer number of motor vehicles on the road of Kolkata, there was a traffic jam in the city. This was because of the various potholes on the roads around Kolkata airport.
TRAFFIC JAMS IN KOLKATA BECAUSE OF DAMAGED ROADS-
- Motor vehicles including two-wheelers that were coming towards the city from areas like Dum Dum, Dakshineswar, Madhyamgram, and Barasat.
- Even when there were no large vehicles like buses and trucks on the roads, people had to wait for more than 45 minutes in the traffic.
- The conditions of the roads in the Belgharia Expressway have worsened because of the rainfall that had occurred. There are numerous potholes on the roads between Madhyamgram and the airport. The road between VIP Road and airport gate no1 has the worst scenario.
REPAIR WORK ON THE ROADS THAT ARE DAMAGED-
- The work to repair these damaged roads in Kolkata is being undertaken. The National Highway Authority of India (NHAI) had taken the repairs of the Belgharia Expressway.
- On the other hand, the state PWD has undertaken the repairing of the Jessore Road and the VIP Road.
“We conduct patchwork repairs time and again but the rain has withered with them. Now that the potholes have reappeared, we will again repair the stretches. But thorough repair will be possible only after the monsoon,” said the PWD official.