IMPACT OF COVID-19 ON TRAFFIC-
The government in India had implemented complete lockdown in the entire country twice now. The covid-19 spread rapidly in India during the second time in March 2021; after which the second lockdown was implemented in India. Due to various efforts of the government and the people, the spread of the covid-19 was under control. The government then initiated the unlocking process.
Due to the lockdown and even sometime after that there were very few or sometimes no vehicles on the road. During this time, the traffic violations were very less. But now, as more and more relaxations are being granted to the public, the crowds on the public places have increased rapidly in a matter of few weeks. There has been a rapid increase in traffic violations in the country compared to 2020.
HIKE IN TRAFFIC VIOLATIONS IN NAGPUR-
The Nagpur traffic police have reported a hike in traffic violations as the governments are giving out relaxations to the public. Not only have cases regarding violations increased, but road accidents caused due to these violations have reached a peak.
According to the traffic police department in Nagpur, about 50% of the total roads accidents that have occurred in Nagpur are because of traffic violations. The most common traffic violations that is responsible for causing half of the total road accidents in the city are-
- Drinking and driving
- Driving on the wrong side
- Dangerous driving (like crossing the speed limit)
- Driving without helmets or seatbelts
ROAD ACCIDENTS DUE TO TRAFFIC VIOLATIONS-
In Nagpur in the last six months, 424 road accidents have occurs this year. Out of which, 221 road accidents were due to motorists who were not following the traffic rules. 56 people lost their lives due to this. And a total of 224 people were severely injured.
- Out of all the five most common traffic violations that lead to road accidents, dangerous driving ranks number one.
- Dangerous driving resulted in a total of 96 road accidents in Nagpur, where 54 people were badly injured and 46 people sustained minor injuries.
- Over-speeding caused around 56 road accidents, due to which 31 people lost their lives and 54 people were injured.
STEPS TAKEN BY THE NAGPUR TRAFFIC POLICE-
Seeing the increasing cases of traffic violations and road accidents, the traffic police department has taken various steps to deal with this. According to the Nagpur traffic police, the traffic management system is poor in the city.
- Despite the challenges that the traffic police are facing, they are taking various steps to curb the traffic violations in Nagpur.
- More traffic officials have been appointed at places where there are high cases of traffic violations.
- Various drives are being conducted by the traffic police department in Nagpur against motorists violating various traffic norms.