EFFECTS OF LOCKDOWN IN INDIA-
The country has been under complete lockdown once again as the second wave of the covid-19 hit India. The spread of the disease was massive and the government has taken many other precautions along with complete lockdown in the country. As the spread of the disease has come under control, the governments are providing various relaxations in the country and the states simultaneously.
TRAFFIC DURING LOCKDOWN-
Traffic will always remain a major issue in the country seeing its population. There are more than thousands of motor vehicles that can be seen on the roads of Kolkata alone. This was reduced massively during both the lockdowns. But as the relaxations the state and the central government are providing are increasing, the numbers of vehicles that can be seen on the roads are also increasing daily.
TRAFFIC VIOLATIONS IN WEST BENGAL-
- During the initial stages of the unlocking in West Bengal, the traffic police department in Kolkata said that there are very few motor vehicles that can be seen traveling.
- And the people are following the covid guidelines that are issued by the government.
- But, with the passing of days of the relaxations, the Kolkata traffic police have reported not only the increase of the motor vehicles on the roads but also the increase in the challans that they issue.
EFFORTS OF THE KOLKATA TRAFFIC POLICE-
- The Kolkata traffic police for the past 45 days has worked tirelessly in maintaining covid protocols in the city. They have worked 18 hours a day doing their duty.
- In a report, the Kolkata traffic police mentioned that as the partial unlock was announced and a time limit was allotted to the public, the cases of traffic violations have increased.
- From 16th May 2021, many relaxations such as the opening of shops, malls, markets, offices were allowed for a limited time, and that was when the traffic violations have increased rapidly.
- After a long time of safety precautions, people were seen violating the norms. Thus, the traffic police had to issue challans to such violators and collect fines.
RAPID INCREASE IN THE TRAFFIC VIOLATIONS IN KOLKATA-
- From 16th May 2021 to 16th June 2021, the total number of traffic violations that were recorded in Kolkata was 37,319. But after the relaxations granted from mid of June 2021, the number of cases increased up to more than 50,000.
- There is a huge number of motorists that were either seized or challaned for violating nighttime.
- In ay, the number of violations involving motorists was around 3500, which increased up to 7,400 in the month of June.
- According to the Kolkata traffic police department, the highest number of traffic violations was recorded in City Center.
- The lowest traffic violations during the unlocking were recorded in James Long Sarani, Kasba, and Bhawanipur traffic areas.
“South and North 24 Parganas and Howrah saw an influx of vehicles in the absence of local trains,” said the traffic police.