Signals are installed at various checkpoints on roads to maintain the smooth flowing of the traffic. If there are no traffic signals, then there will be chaos on the roads. Signals are installed to help people move systematically. Traffic signals are not only helpful to the motorists but also help the traffic department in maintaining the traffic.
But, some people jump the traffic signals or drive dangerously on the road. This not only puts the motorist’s life in danger but also causes danger to the other motorists driving on roads.
PUNISHMENT FOR JUMPING SIGNALS-
The Motor Vehicles Act contains all the rules and regulations that motorists need to follow regarding traffic signals in India.
- If a person is found jumping traffic signals then he/she will be issued a challan.
- They will also be fined between Rs. 1,000 and Rs. 5,000.
- Depending upon the case the violator may also be sent to prison for 6 months to 1 year.
- The violator’s license may also be ceased. Before the amendment of the Motor Vehicles Act, the punishment for jumping traffic signals was a fine of Rs. 100 to Rs. 300.
INCREASING CASES OF JUMPING SIGNALS IN CHENNAI-
Nowadays people are in a hurry to reach their destination, and hence don’t mind jumping traffic signals.
- But, this causes a lot of traffic disputes and chaos on the road.
- In Chennai, the traffic police have installed CCTV cameras on various checkpoints on the roads.
- This enables the traffic police to identify the violators easily.
- And with the help of the e-challan system, the violators are instantly sent e-challans on their registered mobile phones number.
- The violators can now pay their fines online and offline. To pay the fine offline the violators can go to the traffic police booth.
PAY FINES ONLINE IN CHENNAI-
- To pay fine online in Chennai, the violator will have to first visit the official website of the traffic police department by clicking on https://eservices.tnpolice.gov.in/CCTNSNICSDC/Index?0
- Then go to the ‘E-payment of Traffic challan’ option.
- Enter the details asked on the screen.
- Select the payment process.
- And after the completion of the payment, the violator will receive a confirmation message on the registered mobile number.