The number of passengers a motor vehicle can carry is already set by the government. The number of passengers is limited keeping in mind the extra load that the motor vehicles may have to carry. The limitation in the number of passengers in any motor vehicle is necessary especially considering the pandemic that is going on. People are advised to maintain social distance to refrain from spreading the covid-19 disease any further, and overloading passengers amidst this would have an opposite effect on this.
SECTION 194A OF THE MOTOR VEHICLES ACT-
- The rules and regulations for violations of a number of passengers in motor vehicles are mentioned in Section 194A of the Motor Vehicles Act.
- After the amendment of the Motor Vehicles Act, the violator would be challaned and would have to pay a fine of Rs. 20,000.
- The violator will also have to pay Rs. 2,000 for every extra passenger that he/she is carrying on the motor vehicle.
- Additionally, the violator may also be asked to do community service.
- Not only this but the violator may also be asked to do a few community services for the violation committed.
OVERLOADING PASSENGERS IN MUMBAI-
Violations of overloading passengers have always been a great concern for the traffic police department in India.
- During the lockdown, this had decreased considerably because of the spread of covid-19.
- And also because the people were careful on their part.
- But, after the unlocking had begun, the violations are increasing rapidly.
- Overloading passengers is not just an offense under the Motor Vehicles Act, but also of the covid-19 rules and regulations that the government had set.
- If a person has been challaned and charged a fine for overloading passengers in Mumbai, they can pay their fines online or by going to the nearest traffic police booth.
PAY FINES ONLINE IN MUMBAI-
- To pay the fine online in Mumbai, visit the official website of the Mumbai traffic police department by going to https://mahatrafficechallan.gov.in/payechallan/PaymentService.htm?_qc=9fffe60a06a786cdd7fd23b8571c4fac
- Enter all the details asked on the screen.
- Select the payment process to complete the payment.
- After completion, the violator will receive a confirmation message on their mobile phone number.