NUMBER OF PASSENGERS ALLOWED ON MOTOR VEHICLES-
The number of people on a motor vehicle is pre-determined, be it a two-wheeler or a four-wheeler. But, often it is noticed that there is overloading of passengers in many motor vehicle. The number of passengers that a motor vehicle can carry is determined based on various factors. These factors determine how much load a motor vehicle can carry.
SECTION 194A OF THE MOTOR VEHICLES ACT-
The traffic police department has reported that many motorists are often seen overloading passengers. This includes two-wheelers and four-wheeler motorists. It is recently announced that children above four will now be considered the third person when traveling on a two-wheeler.
- This is under Section 194A of the Motor Vehicles Act.
- After announcing this rule, if there are two adults with a child above the age of four in a two-wheeler, they will be challaned and fined Rs. 1,000.
- If a motorist is found overloading passengers in a two-wheeler, then he/she will be challaned and fined Rs. 2,000.
- The driver’s license of the motorist will also be disqualified. They may also be sent to community service for up to 3 months.
OVERLOADING PASSENGERS IN CHENNAI-
Overloading passengers on motor vehicles is one of the most common traffic violations that has been reported by the traffic police department in Chennai.
- The traffic police conduct surprise checks on various areas in the city.
- The violators are also identified with the help of the CCTV cameras installed on various points near the roads.
- They will then receive e-challan through the new e-challan system.
- The violators can pay their fines online and offline in the traffic police booths.
PAY FINES ONLINE IN CHENNAI-
- To pay the fines online in Chennai, the violators will first need to visit the official website of the Chennai traffic police department https://eservices.tnpolice.gov.in/CCTNSNICSDC/Index?0
- Then click on the ‘E-payment of traffic challan’.
- Enter the details asked on the screen.
- Select the payment option to continue further.
- After the payment is successful, the violator will receive a confirmation message on their mobile number.