Silent zones are areas where a source of sound is audible in more distant areas. This can be because of various reasons like interferences or refraction of sound. Such areas generally are where there are schools, hospitals, and such infrastructure in a nearby region. Using horns are strictly prohibited in silent zones, because of the disturbances it may cause to the people in the nearby regions. Though the rules regarding using horns in silent zones are strict, and motorists should follow them, there are cases where motorists were found using horns unnecessarily in silent zones.
SECTION 194F OF THE MOTOR VEHICLES ACT-
- Under Section 194F of the Motor Vehicles Act, the rules and regulations that any motorist should follow while driving in a silent zone are mentioned in detail.
- Under Section 5A of the Noise Pollution Act, rules regarding driving in silent zones are also mentioned.
- Under this, if a person is found using a horn in a silent zone, and this is his/her first offence, then he/she will be challaned and will be fined Rs. 2,000.
- For a second and subsequent offence, the person will be challaned and will have to pay a fine of Rs. 4,000.
USING HORN IN SILENT ZONES IN MUMBAI-
- Violations of using horns in silent zones are specially recorded in metropolitan cities like Mumbai, Delhi, and Kolkata.
- The Mumbai traffic police department is urging the local people in Mumbai to keep in mind this rule, considering the current situation.
- At a time where the number of patients is so high in the hospitals, it is important for others to consider the difficulties that the country is facing.
- Hence, when a person is found violating this rule in Mumbai, he/she instantly receives an e-challan.
- The violators can either pay their fines online or can pay their fines by visiting the nearest traffic police booth.
PAY FINES ONLINE IN MUMBAI-
- To pay their fines online in Mumbai, the person will first need to go to their official website by clicking on the following link https://mahatrafficechallan.gov.in/payechallan/PaymentService.htm?_qc=9fffe60a06a786cdd7fd23b8571c4fac
- Now, the person will need to enter the details asked on the screen.
- Select the payment method, to continue with the payment process.
- After the completion of the payment, the person will receive a confirmation message on their mobile number.