SPEED LIMIT RULES-
One of the major precautions any driver should maintain while driving is driving within the speed limits. The traffic police have set a speed limit keeping in mind the safety and health hazards of the drivers as well as other people. Every driver is advised to drive at a limited speed so that in case of any mishap, the driver can control the speed of the vehicle.
But, there are many cases recorded every day where the drivers are found driving without a seatbelt on. The traffic police in Kolkata when conducting various checks implement strict punishment on such violators.
SECTION 189 OF THE MOTOR VEHICLES ACT-
Section 189 of the Motor Vehicles Act mentions all the rules and guidelines that motorists need to follow regarding speed limit and its violations.
- If a motorist is found violating the speed limit for the first time, then a challan will be issued and a fine of Rs. 5,000 and/or 3 months of imprisonment.
- For second or subsequent violations, a fine of Rs. 10,000 and/or imprisonment up to 1 year.
- Before the amendment of the Motors Vehicles Act, the fine for speed violations was Rs. 500.
SPEED VIOLATIONS IN KOLKATA-
- The Traffic police department in Kolkata has reported that speed violations in Kolkata have increased to a considerable level during the lockdown.
- As the main focus of the traffic police department throughout the country was on maintain the covid-19 protocols, the number of violators has increased in number.
- Now, the traffic police department instantly sends an e-challan to the violators.
- The violators can either pay their fines online or by going to the nearest traffic police booth.
PAY FINES ONLINE IN KOLKATA-
- To pay the fine online, the motorists need to visit the official website of the Kolkata traffic police by clicking on http://www.wbtrafficpolice.com/online-fine-payments-via-grips.php
- Click on the ‘Pay Now’ option that will appear on the screen.
- Enter all the necessary details asked. Select the preferred payment options.
- After the payment is successful, a confirmation message will be sent to the registered mobile number.